Mr. Warren

New Resolution Debate Forum

Mr. Warren

In an effort to give more focus to some of the debates, I decided to create a special debate sub-forum which uses an easy to use structure. Basically, the only real difference is that debates have to begin with a very specific sentence, a statement or resolution that encapsulates what is to be debated.

Here are the official rules:

All debates in this forum must begin with a specific statement or resolution to be debated such as "Resolved: Women should be allowed to serve in combat roles." Each debate must have a poll with 3 and only 3 options: Pro (meaning you agree with the resolution, Con (meaning you disagree), or Abstain (meaning you are undecided or do not wish to vote). Voter names should be visible.

That's it. It is a pretty minor difference, but I think it could have a huge impact encouraging more substantial responses and engagement, and help members focus their arguments.

• Like 21

Lydia_rose

This sounds like a really good idea @Draper I think that it might help with a lot of problems that have been going on in that forum. Not that it will effect me at all because I dont even have access to it😐

SmartKitty16
9 hours ago, Draper said:

In an effort to give more focus to some of the debates, I decided to create a special debate sub-forum which uses an easy to use structure. Basically, the only real difference is that debates have to begin with a very specific sentence, a statement or resolution that encapsulates what is to be debated.

Here are the official rules:

All debates in this forum must begin with a specific statement or resolution to be debated such as "Resolved: Women should be allowed to serve in combat roles." Each debate must have a poll with 3 and only 3 options: Pro (meaning you agree with the resolution, Con (meaning you disagree), or Abstain (meaning you are undecided or do not wish to vote). Voter names should be visible.

That's it. It is a pretty minor difference, but I think it could have a huge impact encouraging more substantial responses and engagement, and help members focus their arguments.

Question: should I put just one sentence to start the debate or do I have to explain the topic, etc?

Maximilian Kolbe
1 minute ago, SmartKitty16 said:

Question: should I put just one sentence to start the debate or do I have to explain the topic, etc?

I think due to the content of the debate being one up for detailed discussion, you should provide some context, and if you have an opinion, you can state it to start.

• Like 1

Mr. Warren
52 minutes ago, SmartKitty16 said:

You should start with the one sentence resolution, but then you are free to start making your arguments after that in the same post. The resolution should be able to stand on its own though (the meaning should be as obvious as possible). The more of them we do, the more we will get in the habit and the better resolutions we will come up with over time. The best way to start is to just jump in though.

• Like 3

SmartKitty16
13 hours ago, Maximilian Kolbe said:

I think due to the content of the debate being one up for detailed discussion, you should provide some context, and if you have an opinion, you can state it to start.

13 hours ago, Draper said:

You should start with the one sentence resolution, but then you are free to start making your arguments after that in the same post. The resolution should be able to stand on its own though (the meaning should be as obvious as possible). The more of them we do, the more we will get in the habit and the better resolutions we will come up with over time. The best way to start is to just jump in though.

Thank you both for the help. Hopefully I can put up my debate soon! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1