New Seton Chess Club

Mr. Warren

As some of you know, the old Seton Chess Club that Seton self-hosted has had some technical problems for a couple years now (it won't even let me register, though I know others can). Mr. Marmalejo, who runs the Seton Chess Club, had been trying to find a solution to those problems and our Computer Dept. had been involved. Time has just dragged on though, so he is willing to merge the Seton Chess Club into Catholic Harbor and use our CH club system along with ChessKid.com to actually play the games. I will be taking over all of the registration and technical issues, but Mr. Marmalejo still wants to be active in the club.

There is now a link to the new Seton Chess Club (with discussion on CH and games played on ChessKid) at the bottom of Catholic Harbor or you can access it from the "Clubs" option in the top menu.

So the way membership works (anyone on CH can join), you simply join the club and then I will create an account for you over on ChessKid.com that is hooked into my account (the have like a teacher/student account relation) and the Seton Chess Club there. Please only join if you actually want to play chess games with other students. I will have to manually create accounts (kind of annoying, but I am happy to do it if you might use it). All games would be played there using their system. ChessKid is a safe site with no user-to-user chat or any social features, as such, I am not going have an extra parent approval step, but please don't join if you think your parents would object. All club and chess related communication can be done here, on the CH club. It takes a while for ChessKid to approve custom usernames, and I have to do everything manually, so don't be shocked if it takes up to a week for me to process your club membership.

• Like 11
48 minutes ago, Liam said:

coolio. I'm not too good at chess, but I'll join (:

Actually, ChessKid has all sorts of tutorials and puzzles to help you improve even when not playing against others.

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Draper said:

Actually, ChessKid has all sorts of tutorials and puzzles to help you improve even when not playing against others.

oo that's pretty cool, looking forward to checking it out (:

15 hours ago, Draper said:

Does this mean that even if I don’t know how to play chess... I can join?

I’d like to learn but I don’t know how 😂

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Born4Bacon said:

Yes! The tutorials start out at the most basic level, reviewing how each piece moves, and then slowly building up to more advanced topics eventually teaching specific strategies and openings. It is a great way to learn.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
Just now, Draper said:

Yes! The tutorials start out at the most basic level, reviewing how each piece moves, and then slowly building up to more advanced topics eventually teaching specific strategies and openings. It is a great way to learn.

Cool!! I didn’t join the club at first because I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to play! Thanks so much this is really awesome!!

Elizabeth of Narnia
1 hour ago, Born4Bacon said:

Cool!! I didn’t join the club at first because I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to play! Thanks so much this is really awesome!!

Same! I was really excited to hear that you can learn to play on the site! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Born4Bacon said:

So glad u asked that question😂 I figured I was the only one who doesn’t know how to play chess but would like too😂

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, pianoplayingpony said:

Can you chat while playing someone?

I used to play an old Seton chess program, and you could chat during the game.

Nope that’s the sad part you cannot 

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, pianoplayingpony said:

Can you chat while playing someone?

No, but we have pms on CH that can be used for that purpose.

3 hours ago, GuitarRocker18 said:

@Mr. Warren , i’ve joined the club but i havent been given an account yet. are you guys still working on it?

Because it is our busiest Admissions season (and I am the Director of Admissions in addition to running CH and the chess club, I am about a month behind on creating the chess accounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
GuitarRocker18
2 minutes ago, Mr. Warren said:

No, but we have pms on CH that can be used for that purpose.

Because it is our busiest Admissions season (and I am the Director of Admissions in addition to running CH and the chess club, I am about a month behind on creating the chess accounts.

ah okay. i was wondering if you guys did get my request to join and i was worried you didnt. i can wait so take you time. Thanks for responding!

• Like 1
DaughterofMary_19
15 hours ago, Mr. Warren said:

@Trust_in_You_1931 (:

• Thanks 1