Limited Space in Gallery

Mr. Warren

We have hit our max media storage space. I am going to try to prune the galleries a bit.

Please only upload images that fall in focus of each gallery. That means no memes or screen captures. And please don't upload more than one photo of the same general subject. (and not more than 1 or 2 at a time).

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 5
  • Wow! 5
18 minutes ago, Draper said:

We have hit our max media storage space. I am going to try to prune the galleries a bit.

Please only upload images that fall in focus of each gallery. That means no memes or screen captures. And please don't upload more than one photo of the same general subject. (and not more than 1 or 2 at a time).

I agree. I've seen a lot of memes posted in the gallery and I think those would work better for status updates. It's not photography or anything

• Like 9

I paid to move us to the next hosting level, and that buys us a little more space, but only like 50% more, and that has to last us for like a year or 2, so we do need to ration even with the upgrade.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
discotheque

@Draper say I upload an image in the gallery and then hit the delete button, Would that image actually be deleted and not take up any space or would it just be hidden (or something like that idk)

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, discotheque said:

@Draper say I upload an image in the gallery and then hit the delete button, Would that image actually be deleted and not take up any space or would it just be hidden (or something like that idk)

Good question (because I have done this before for pfps and such)

• Like 3
discotheque
1 hour ago, Born4Bacon said:

Good question (because I have done this before for pfps and such)

Yeah i was asking because I end up changing my profile picture alot and i sometimes use the gallery for it

• Like 1
1 minute ago, discotheque said:

Yeah i was asking because I end up changing my profile picture alot and i sometimes use the gallery for it

Yeah same. I don’t necessarily want the picture in the gallery... I just want a non-blurry picture

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, discotheque said:

It would be deleted and not take up space.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Halfling Sized Ranger

@Draper, I was actually wondering if it would be possible for members to make albums.  Maybe that way, we can keep track of our photos and delete old ones.  Any thoughts on this?

• Like 3
lovetobowl1
5 hours ago, Halfling Sized Ranger said:

@Draper, I was actually wondering if it would be possible for members to make albums.  Maybe that way, we can keep track of our photos and delete old ones.  Any thoughts on this?

If you go to your own page or anyone else’s for that fact umm you can see just your pictures 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@Draper I looked through the galleries and noticed that the photography category is kinda being used as "Whatever is not a photo of me or something I drew goes here!" PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT A PLACE FOR RANDOM PICTURES EVERYBODY! (I think.) It is a place for photography, good or bad. And just by scrolling through that page, I can tell that some of the pics do not fall into the category of photography. This is just my interpretation of what the photography page means.

@Draper Could you specify exactly what the photography page means? Thanks!

• Like 2
discotheque
On 3/24/2019 at 9:50 AM, xlafosse said:

@Draper I looked through the galleries and noticed that the photography category is kinda being used as "Whatever is not a photo of me or something I drew goes here!" PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT A PLACE FOR RANDOM PICTURES EVERYBODY! (I think.) It is a place for photography, good or bad. And just by scrolling through that page, I can tell that some of the pics do not fall into the category of photography. This is just my interpretation of what the photography page means.

@Draper Could you specify exactly what the photography page means? Thanks!

drawings go in artwork, and i honestly don't see anything that doesn't belong in photography.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

@Draper does it use storage to put an image in a comment and not take up space in the photo memory?

Edited by Rosario
Mr. Warren
1 hour ago, Rosario said:

@Draper does it use storage to put an image in a comment like thislike so and not take up space in the photo memory?

If the image is linked to from offsite, no, not a significant amount. I assume that is the same for photos like that are linked to, but linked to from onsite. I am not sure if there would be a difference. You are not actually uploading the photo into the post though, so it shouldn't. (I disabled the ability to upload directly into a post).

WilliamSkelton
4 minutes ago, Draper said:

If the image is linked to from offsite, no, not a significant amount. I assume that is the same for photos like that are linked to, but linked to from onsite. I am not sure if there would be a difference. You are not actually uploading the photo into the post though, so it shouldn't. (I disabled the ability to upload directly into a post).

Yep, piggybacking on this to explain a bit further. URLs are locations on the internet, envision the internet like a warehouse of shelves. When you insert a photo via URL, you are telling CH what aisle the photo is on, which section, and which cubby, instead of having CH store it inside it’s own area of the warehouse, it just borrows it from where it exists elsewhere.

• Like 1
lovetobowl1
16 hours ago, WilliamSkelton said:

Yep, piggybacking on this to explain a bit further. URLs are locations on the internet, envision the internet like a warehouse of shelves. When you insert a photo via URL, you are telling CH what aisle the photo is on, which section, and which cubby, instead of having CH store it inside it’s own area of the warehouse, it just borrows it from where it exists elsewhere.

So it basically just puts it there but it’s not really there? 

WilliamSkelton
20 minutes ago, lovetobowl1 said:

So it basically just puts it there but it’s not really there? 

Kinda, yeah, it displays it without having to store it on the site

• Like 1
lovetobowl1
4 minutes ago, WilliamSkelton said:

Kinda, yeah, it displays it without having to store it on the site

Oh okay makes sense okay thanks 

• 1 month later...
SmartKitty16
33 minutes ago, pianoplayingpony said:

Hadn't read this and uploaded a screenshot.

Sorry

You can still delete it though if you uploaded it yourself. 

• Thanks 1

Hmmm. I've got an idea: to get unlimited storage space for pictures, you may start a Github repository which can store uploaded photos. To keep the credentials for the repository hidden, the uploading and authentication shall be handled by a back-end websocket server, to which the image and its details are sent (perhaps in JSON). Of course, some data space (the url to the location of an image in the Github repository, and maybe the description) shall be on CH's server, but doing that shall release a lot of data.

• Like 2