About Catholic Harbor

Mr. Warren

Relationship between Catholic Harbor and Seton Home Study School:

Catholic Harbor is an official student-moderated community of Seton Home Study School students and graduates. The domain name is owned by Seton, the rules are approved by Seton, and the membership is validated by Seton. However, Seton does not moderate the community. Rather, current students are selected to act as moderators and enforce the official rules. As such, Seton cannot vouch for the user and moderator submitted content on Catholic Harbor. The opinions expressed by the members and moderators of this community do not reflect the positions of Seton Home Study School. Any comments or complaints about content should be directed to the student moderation team. If there is a problem with the moderation staff, that can be brought to me or to Joe, the two Seton staff advisors and admins of this site.

The History of Catholic Harbor:

Although this is a brand new community, in many ways its history spans the past 20 years. In the late 90's, Seton Home Study School had an online message board for students, not just for academic topics, but for general conversation. (It is referred to now as the "Seton BB" or "the original Seton board".) It was a thriving community, but because of its success, it was difficult to moderate. Because it bore Seton's name, there would be occasional complaints because of opinions expressed by students that might not have reflected Seton's official positions. Seton made the decision to limit the message board to only academic topics, and that board continues to this day.

Needless to say, the large community that had formed, wanted to stay in touch and keep their community going, so Dr. Mary Kay Clark's youngest son, Tim Clark, created an unofficial message board called "The Bored". Many of the members migrated over, and the community thrived for a while. Around 1999, two Seton students (Joe Sparks and Tony Marzi) eventually decided that something grander was needed, and developed a new message board called BoredOnline ("BOL" for short). BOL had a long a glorious history, reaching thousands of members and over a million posts (at its peak getting over 600 posts per day). Eventually, the core members graduated and went off to college, had babies, etc., and BOL eventually became inactive (it still technically exists). Some of those BOL members ended up working for Seton, and kept the memory and dream alive of a thriving Catholic homeschooling online student community.

There are a few other student-run boards created after BOL started to decline, notably the "Seton Writers Club". Some of those BOL members ended up working for Seton, and kept the memory and dream alive of a thriving Catholic homeschooling online student community. In 2009, a half-hearted effort to create a Seton Alumni Board was launched, which despite little publicity was actually fairly popular for a time, but also eventually became inactive.

I myself am one of those message board members who now works at Seton. I was a member of the Seton BB, The Bored, I ran BoredOnline for many years, and started the Seton Alumni Board. I became friends with Joe Sparks, Founder of BoredOnline, through our postings (he also met his wife Emily through the message boards). Joe also works at Seton now. In fact, there are a total of 6 former Seton BB and BOL members who work at Seton now. Those message boards made such a huge and positive impact on our lives and helped us make life-long friends that we are really excited to be able to make a technologically up-to-date community like that for current Seton students.

• 10 months later...

We didn't let any members join until Dec 1 2017, but Joe and I had been working on the site for a few months before that.

I consider Dec 1 to be CH's birthday.

1 hour ago, Draper said:

We didn't let any members join until Dec 1 2017, but Joe and I had been working on the site for a few months before that.

I consider Dec 1 to be CH's birthday.

oK thanks!

20 minutes ago, DeosFromSpace said:

I wish I could have been around when Seton BB was up.  It sounds like a fun site!

Catholic Harbor is now far more successful than the SetonBB had been, so you are basically getting that experience plus some extra... with different people naturally. 

Just now, Ethan said:

How can I become a moderator? i would like to help keep Seton a place for people to talk and be safe while doing so.

me too!!

22 minutes ago, Ethan said:

How can I become a moderator? i would like to help keep Seton a place for people to talk and be safe while doing so.

Ha ha me too!!! 

The way it works is @Draper nominates someone who he thinks is mature and is active, and I think you have to have at least 100 posts. Then he asks your parents, and then if your parents say yes, he'll ask you. But it's a very complicated process, and Mr. Draper chooses you. (please correct me if I'm wrong about the process, Mr. Draper! :classic_biggrin:

Maximilian Kolbe
5 hours ago, Born4Bacon said:

The way it works is @Draper nominates someone who he thinks is mature and is active, and I think you have to have at least 100 posts. Then he asks your parents, and then if your parents say yes, he'll ask you. But it's a very complicated process, and Mr. Draper chooses you. (please correct me if I'm wrong about the process, Mr. Draper! :classic_biggrin:

No! You did good! Just the thing generally goes with several hundred posts at least, to make sure you are suited well for the position, there is a lot of power involved.

Also, @Ethan, we are actually all moderators. If you ever see a post that breaks the rules, you can report it, PM a mod, and even ask the person to modify it themselves. Keeping CH the way it is is all of our jobs, not just the moderating crew.

Who do an excellent job at it by the way.
A big thank you to @Faustina720 @Michelina2017, @SlyGuy12, @Sir.Jonz, and @Aeri.

God bless!

Matthew

2 minutes ago, Maximilian Kolbe said:

No! You did good! Just the thing generally goes with several hundred posts at least, to make sure you are suited well for the position, there is a lot of power involved.

Also, @Ethan, we are actually all moderators. If you ever see a post that breaks the rules, you can report it, PM a mod, and even ask the person to modify it themselves. Keeping CH the way it is is all of our jobs, not just the moderating crew.

A big thank you to @Faustina720 @Michelina2017, @SlyGuy12, @Sir.Jonz, and @Aeri.

God bless!

Matthew

Max is 100% right, thank you very much!

Just now, Maximilian Kolbe said:

God bless!

Matthew

Wonderfully put, Matthew! Thank you so much! :classic_biggrin:

Michelina2017
On 10/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, Maximilian Kolbe said:

God bless!

Matthew

Well said Matthew! And thank you!! ?

• Mr. Warren unpinned this topic

Archived